[APG Public List] Adopted children in genealogy

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 16:57:25 MST 2010

Jackie;
     In any situation like this, I think there are several factors to consider. First, what are the client's instructions? Unless they are asking you to do something unethical, their instructions should take priority (and their intent, if that is obvious from the instructions).
     Second, you need to consider the ethical issues. Apart from refusing to do anything actively unethical, isn't there a positive dimension to ethics as well? In the absence of any specific wishes expressed by the client, what is the most ethical choice? (In almost any situation, my answer would be: tell the truth. It is one thing to withhold information the client has expressly asked not to be informed about, but another to do so under any other circumstances.)
     Third, a very useful question if you are still in doubt is this: if I were the client, what would _I_ want? In every case, my own answer would be that I would want the maximum possible amount of information. I - and others in my family - have been blindsided by family secrets too many times to think it is _ever_ a good idea to conceal the facts. And every family secret significantly impacts everyone associated with it. The truth you don't know is an unexploded land mine.
     Yes, some people will argue with this, but that's my opinion. There is _no_ possible situation where I would not prefer to know. And I do not subscribe to the belief that a family secret can possibly "belong" to an individual, not when so many lives are affected by it.
                                 Ray Beere Johnson II