[APG Public List] Adopted children in genealogy

Charles S. Mason, Jr. cgrs791 at netscape.com
Sat Nov 13 12:53:38 MST 2010

Mary,

This is a problem I have in several of my collateral families.  In most of
the cases the step-father did not adopt the children.  So therefore legally
their surname remained the surname of their birth father.  In a number of my
cases the children used their step-father's surname during the rest of their
life.

The main thing we as genealogists need to keep in mind is which surname was
used to create records for these children.  Will they be created using their
birth father or their step-father's surname?

In a couple of my families there was a legal adoption.  In all of my cases
they were 20th century adoptions.  Therefore a legal name change was done in
court.

Most of my name changes were not as a result of adoption.  Most of these
families lived in NJ during the 19th century.  Adoptions were acts of the
legislature, not the courts as they are today, until sometime in the 1870s.
I forget the exact year.  The list of children who were legally adopted as
acts of the legislature were published in the legislature's records and my
children were not among them.  The way I handle them is to enter them with
their birth surname and I use square brackets to indicate they took the
surname of their step-father.

In the cases where I know that their was a legal adoption, I enter the birth
name in parenthesis and the legal name change as the surname.  I also
explain the name changes in my notes, indicating if there was a legal
adoption or if the child just used the step-father's surname.

Other people my handle this differently.  It will be interesting to see what
others have to say.

Chuck Mason