[APG Public List] Fwd: Re: Genealogy Program Specifications

Barbara Vines Little, CG, FVGS bvlittle at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 21:54:23 MST 2010

The GenTech Data Model and GedCom are not the same:

      1.4.1Is this data model a replacement for GEDCOM?

No.GEDCOM is a standard for exchanging data between genealogical
applications.Underlying the GEDCOM specification as it evolved over the
years has been an implied data model that makes certain assumptions
about the relationship of genealogical data.Starting a few years ago,
those data models have been made available to the public for
inspection.In April 1998, the LDS church released the “GEDCOM (Future
Direction) Information Model”.

The GENTECH data model is an explicit statement of how all genealogical
data is related, and it is keyed to our understanding of the
genealogical research and analysis process.If there were a GENTECH data
exchange specification based on this model, it could be compared to
GEDCOM, but we believe that more understanding is achieved by discussing
a logical data model and not just discussing part of a physical
implementation of a model.

Thus, this data model cannot be compared to GEDCOM because they are two
different constructs.The GENTECH data model, however, can be compared to
the “GEDCOM (Future Direction) Information Model” although the
methodology used to actually draw each model is considerably
different.It should be noted that genealogical data in toto is
sufficiently complex that some interpretation of the data relationships
is to be expected, and thus two teams are not likely to draw the model
exactly the same way, even if both teams have an identical understanding
of the data.Both models share many features, but differ in other ways.

Barbara Vines Little, CG, FVGS

PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
bvlittle at earthlink.net
540-832-3473

CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certified
genealogists after periodic evaluation, and the board name is registered
in the US Patent & Trademark Office.