[APG Public List] Genealogy Program Specifications

DonnDevine at aol.com DonnDevine at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 18:51:28 MST 2010

Whatever comes from John's proposal or the February RootsTech conference, I
 hope those involved don't find it necessary to reinvent the  wheel.

The underlying genealogical process modelling necessary was  completed over
ten years ago by the GenTech Data Model Group,  a collection of dedicated
and talented professionals, both genealogists and  programmers. Its final
report, a 106-page pdf file, really helped me  understand how I do genealogy,
even with no interest in developing a  genealogical software program. The
report can be found at

_http://xml.coverpages.org/GENTECH-DataModelV11.pdf_
(http://xml.coverpages.org/GENTECH-DataModelV11.pdf)

It hasn't gotten much attention recently, but I suspect it has had some
positive influence on recent software development--but without the continued
collective effort necessary to produce the agreement on specifications for
minimally acceptable software, which John has called for.

Donn

Donn Devine,  CG, CGL
Wilmington DE

CG, Certified Genealogist, CGL, and Certified  Genealogical Lecturer are
service marks of the Board for Certification of  Genealogists, used under
license by board certificants after periodic  evaluation, and the board name is
registered in the US Patent & Trademark  Office.