[APG Public List] the new vs. the old Family History Library catalog

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 17:07:36 MST 2010

--- On Mon, 11/8/10, Helen Ullmann <hsullmann at comcast.net> wrote:

> If you don't like the new beta Family History Library catalog, please let
> them know! I think you can send an email to FamilySearch
> <noreply.familysearch at getsatisfaction.com>.

     Not at that address you can't! The "noreply" in the above address - in fact, in _ANY_ e-mail address - is a red flag which says, in essence, "don't bother using this address, we don't accept replies here". It is a special syntax, which typically indicates it was sent from a server which is not configured to accept incoming mail. Anything you send to such an address will simply disappear, invisibly. The "receiver" won't even know you sent it... And just stripping away the "noreply" part of the address will do you no good, either. It is added to alert the human recipient to the nature of the address, but the server is still not going to be configured to accept incoming mail. (Sure, someone can probably point to an exception, a case where the server was misconfigured or whatever, but don't hold your breath.)
                             Ray Beere Johnson II