[APG Public List] Actual Physical Location

Larry Boswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Nov 8 06:19:18 MST 2010

But again, it's like any other fact.  There are thousands of bogus family trees out on the internet whose authors' would swear are accurate.  Or LDS Ancestral Files.  Pedigrees of all sorts.  I don't like wading through them.

And even when proving the usual relationships myself, there isn't a line drawn between absolutely correct and something that is highly likely but not 100% assured.  And I lay that out clearly, my degree of confidence in my findings.  Any decent researcher will use coordinates appropriately, in context, and with supporting 'facts'.  And the result will be more trustworthy.  And a poor researcher will jump to ill-informed conclusions or pull coordinates using guesswork and a prayer.  Yet even an absolute beginner to genealogy just might have gotten things right.  The only way you know for sure is to "trust no one,"  and re-establish/vette each so-called coordinate by doing your own assessment and evaluations.  I don't take anyone's results for granted when it comes to any genealogical fact.  And I treat coordinates in exactly the same way I treat any so-called "fact".

We would not be able to stop poorly deduced coordinates from being presented as fact, than we could stop people from putting up inaccurate pedigrees and family histories on the net.  It's buyer beware.

Larry