[APG Public List] Actual Physical Location

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Sun Nov 7 15:28:04 MST 2010

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010, Ray Beere Johnson II wrote:  "But you just made my point
for me. That is _exactly_ why I'd prefer to know "great-granddad was born in XYZ
Parish" (assuming the information was accurate - a caveat which applies equally
to _any_ sort of information; inaccurate information is never very helpful, even
if occasionally we get a little use out of it) over a set of geographic
co-ordinates listing the location where his parents lived when he was born.
Knowing the parish, it would be a (relatively) simple matter to trace those
records down to where they are today. So, in my opinion, this would be the best
path for assembling the most details of the story of their lives - in most
cases, at least."

- How about including all the relevant information about a place:  the location
where the event (birth, death, etc.) occurred, the name of the parish to which
that location belonged, and the coordinates?  In Family Tree Maker, there are
separate fields where I can record all these pieces of information, each of
which provides another way for other people to find the correct location.

Best regards,
Stephen J. Danko, PLCGS
http://www.stephendanko.com/