[APG Public List] Help with Polish record

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Sat Nov 6 21:47:45 MDT 2010

Hi Cynthia,

I can think of two reasons the mother's maiden name may have been indexed as z
d. Pomeranz in several birth records and as z d. Goldfarb in one other birth
record.  Other people might be able to think of other reasons.

The first reason is that the clerk who recorded the birth may have recorded the
mother's mother's surname instead of the mother's father's surname in the
original record.

The second reason is that the indexer might have incorrectly recorded Dwojra's
maiden name as Goldfarb instead of Pomeranz.  Normally, Polish birth records
will describe the mother as "Dwojra z domu Pomeranz" meaning "Dwojra née
Pomeranz."  But, if the original record provided information about the mother's
parents, it might have been written something like "Dwojra, córka Salomona i
Sari z domu Goldfarb Pomeranzów", meaning " Dwojra, daughter of Salomon and Sara
(née Goldfarb) Pomeranz."  If the mother's parents were listed in the original
record, the indexer might have thought that whatever followed "z domu" was the
mother's maiden name and didn't realize that what followed "z domu" in this
record was actually the mother's mother's maiden name.  If this is the case, you
will know for certain once you find the original record.

Best regards,
Stephen J. Danko, PLCGS
http://www.stephendanko.com/