[APG Public List] mapping and research

John Yates john at jytangledweb.org
Mon Nov 1 20:50:25 MDT 2010

On 11/1/2010 9:46 PM, DonnDevine at aol.com wrote:
> For all the reasons offered earlier in this and the preceding threads
> "Digital Locations" and "place names," I agree that numerical reference
> systems are a useful way to describe the location of a geographic
> feature independent of changing boundaries and landscapes. As such, it
> is an item of information (evidence, when relevant to an issue) that
> needs a citation to its source--a sextant reading, GPS instrument, map
> measurement, GoogleMaps solution, or an original source cited elsewhere.
> I do have a problem with "digital location" as an alternative to "GPS
> location". "Digital location," like the more descriptive "geodetic
> location," is a generic term applicable to different numerical reference

I introduced it as a generic term on purpose. I propose that it
could be the generic name applied to any in its family of
source reference types. Then the researcher would specify precisely
which system they used, GPS, UTM, etc., which is important to note,
if not implicitly conveyed by the style of coordinates reported.

But it is a convenient generic umbrella way to classify all the types.
Just like Church Records, Census Records, have subtypes, so would
Digital Locations.

John