[APG Public List] [APG Members] place names

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Mon Nov 1 18:22:45 MDT 2010

John

*Thanks* for the feed back here--and thanks to (alpha order here <g>),
Larry, Linda, Michael, Michael John, Ray, Stephen, Terry & everybody else I
may have forgotten to mention), for your intense discussions. Your thoughts
have been extremely helpful to me, not just from the standpoint of creating
citations but also from our larger need to appraise the role GPS plays in
our everyday work.

Appreciatively,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
The Evidence Series

John wrote:

Here is a starting point for Evidence Style templates for sourcing a
Digital Location (a better name than GPS coordinates) determined by using
a GPS device. I am not an expert on creating these, so please feel
free to improve it. This is a single one of what could be an eventual
"family" of digital location types that would include: from databases,
from web sites, etc. Let's start small and see where it goes.

First, how it would look in print. A dummy text with a first and
second citation, then the Full and Short citation, and then the
Bibliographic form:

=============
The Revolutionary War Patriot, Zephaniah Steelman, is buried in Zion
Cemetery, Bargaintown,
                                 1
New Jersey (39.36723 -74.58847).  Blah, blah, blah. The digital location
of Zephaniah Steelman's
                              2
grave is (39.36723 -74.58847).

=============Full then Short===
1
  Zephaniah Steelman Grave Site, Zion Church Cemetery, Bargaintown, New
Jersey, 39.36723 -74.58847,
+/-15 feet, elevation 100 feet (Garmin eTreX Legend Cx: WAAS: WGS84),
John H. Yates, Private Address,
September 25, 2010. Can put some optional text here, if you want.

2
  Zephaniah Steelman Grave Site, Zion Cemetery, 39.36723 -74.58847, John
H. Yates, 2010.

=============List (Bibliography)===

Steelman, Zephaniah. Grave Site. Bargaintown, New Jersey. John H. Yates.
2010.
=============

Now, a computer ready representation of the templates that could easily
be exchanged among users and software packages, see:
http://jytangledweb.org/genealogy/evidencestyle/
and mark up or render to the above output:

#### Digital Location
ES500|Digital Location: personally determined with a GPS device
[SITE NAME (LAST, FIRST)]. Grave Site. [SITE ADDRESS]. [ACQUIRER]. [YEAR].
[SITE NAME (FIRST LAST)] Grave Site, [SITE ADDRESS], [DIGITAL LOCATION],
<[ACCURACY], ><[ELEVATION] , >(<[DEVICE] : ><[WAAS ENABLED]: ><[GPS
COORDINATE SYSTEM]>), [ACQUIRER], {[ACQUIRER ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE], }
[DATE ACQUIRED]. [DESCRIPTIVE DETAIL].
[SITE NAME (FIRST LAST)] Grave Site, [SITE ADDRESS (SHORT)], [DIGITAL
LOCATION], [ACQUIRER], [DATE ACQUIRED (SHORT)].
#

And now, a computer ready representation of the citation based on these
templates that could easily
be exchanged among users and software packages:

JHY1501|ES500|Digital Location|Digital Location: personally determined
with a GPS device
[SITE NAME (LAST, FIRST)]. Grave Site. [SITE ADDRESS]. [ACQUIRER]. [YEAR].
[SITE NAME (FIRST LAST)] Grave Site, [SITE ADDRESS], [DIGITAL LOCATION],
<[ACCURACY], ><[ELEVATION] , >(<[DEVICE] : ><[WAAS ENABLED]: ><[GPS
COORDINATE SYSTEM]>), [ACQUIRER], {[ACQUIRER ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE], }
[DATE ACQUIRED]. [DESCRIPTIVE DETAIL].
[SITE NAME (FIRST LAST)] Grave Site, [SITE ADDRESS (SHORT)], [DIGITAL
LOCATION], [ACQUIRER], [DATE ACQUIRED (SHORT)].
[SITE NAME (FIRST LAST)]Zephaniah Steelman
[SITE NAME (LAST, FIRST)]Steelman, Zephaniah
[SITE ADDRESS]Zion Church Cemetery, Bargaintown, New Jersey
[SITE ADDRESS (SHORT)]Zion Cemetery
[DIGITAL LOCATION]39.36723 -74.58847
[ACCURACY]+/-15 feet
[ELEVATION]100 feet
[DEVICE]Garmin eTreX Legend Cx
[WAAS ENABLED]WAAS
[GPS COORDINATE SYSTEM]WGS84
[ACQUIRER]John H. Yates
[DATE ACQUIRED]September 25, 2010
[DATE ACQUIRED (SHORT)]2010
[ACQUIRER ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE]Private Address
[DESCRIPTIVE DETAIL]Can put some optional text here, if you want
#

I hope I haven't made any typos above. I have a rendering engine but
haven't touched it since February. I first wrote it in Fortran, then
converted it to the Unix Bourne Shell scripting language (both use an
SQLite database), thinking it would be easier to recode that in
Java. But I ran out of time and interest to learn more Java, so I
packaged what I've done on the web site, and moved on to other
projects. The rendering engine faithfully reproduced all 170 QuickCheck
models in EE. (I even found its few typos). Anyway, I manually processed
the above computer ready citation to the rendered output.

I will mostly let the web site speak for itself, except for pointing out
that <> indicates optional fields, and {} indicates privacy fields in a
template, which along with enclosed punctuation, will go away if a value
is not set, or the ignore privacy flag is not set.

I've included, for better or worse, [DEVICE], [WAAS ENABLED], and [GPS
COORDINATE SYSTEM], but have made them optional. I have also made
[ACCURACY] and [ELEVATION] optional. I typically don't record either.  I
wait for [ACCURACY] to reach the common minimum of about +/-15 feet (I
give it time to lock on the most satellites it can at that position),
and [ELEVATION] in my experience is not accurately determined, it seems
to be harder to determine via the satellites than the other two
dimensions. I see it "creep" for quite a long time, so I usually ignore
it.

Each template must be on one line (ease of programming reasons), and the
first one is List (Bibliographic), second one is Full, and third one is
Short. [I see they "folded" when I pasted this into email. I think
it will be clear if I leave them "folded"].

Variables are specified concisely on one line as:
[VARIABLE]value of the variable.

A computer program would allow one to select a defined source type, then
prompt you for the required and optional parameters needed for that
source type.

Templates use a few simple html like tags like <i>italic text</i>,
web site). Italics are the only one commonly used in templates I've
written there for all 170 Evidence Style QuickCheck models in the web
site, but are not needed for this example.

Templates are packed with the citations in the program's database so
that if working templates are later altered or even deleted, your
current version of a citation is safe.

If you think such computer ready versions of templates and citations
that can be defined, extended, modified, and shared among users is a
good idea, feel free to let the software vendors know as I have.  Right
before they filed it in the circular filing cabinet! ;-) You can simply
point them to the web site:
http://jytangledweb.org/genealogy/evidencestyle/ .
I packaged it to be self explanatory.

My specific implementation is not the end all, but the concept to me
would be a very clear leap forward for software packages. And via the
templates, one can define ANY STYLE of source referencing, not only
Evidence Style. Yes, even Free Format can trivially be represented
with this method, see the web site, I show how.

I have been tempted to approach venture capitalists with a proposal that
would build a new, multiplatform (Mac, PC, linux) native, genealogy
program written in Java, Swing, with an SQLite database (or even more
modern software) that would handle sources in this manner.

John