[APG Public List] Actual Physical Location

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 17:51:14 MDT 2010

I think we are definitely talking past each other, because (Larry) you do not seem to be answering our objections.  We are all in agreement, it would seem, about the importance of being able to locate the area where something was, and which repository would therefore hold those records.  This determination has nothing to do with the coordinates of the location.

You even proved the same case in your example below.  All of the parishes in the greater London area are in the same repository today.  To determine whether or not a specific parish is held in that repository or some other, you would have to know where the parish boundaries were.  Then to determine if a particular family was in these records, you would have to know where the family was in relation to the parish boundaries.  A historic map and descriptions of the family’s lands and the parish borders are all you need to know for this determination.  This is our point exactly.

To get the coordinates, you would have to do all of this, then look up the coordinates for that location.  Regardless of how easy this step may be, it is still an unnecessary step.  And unnecessary information that adds nothing to the research process, in my opinion.

Just my $0.02, (probably a dime by now)

Michael Hait
michael.hait at hotmail.com
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com