[APG Public List] Actual Physical Location

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Nov 1 17:39:49 MDT 2010

Ray, I probably have picked that up along the way.  But the only way you
know which artificial boundaries apply is to know where a specific location
is.  That's genealogy research 101.

Do you do any British research?  What you describe is common there.

I strongly disagree that knowing locations and how they relate to both the
jurisdictional and geographic "landscape" isn't critical to successful,
complete research outcomes (both those "landscapes").

London has been rearranged many times by fire and other factors.  The Blitz
wiped out many churches, reduced whole areas to rubble. But that doesn't
change the historical location which can still be pinpointed. Doesn't matter
if it was levelled, or a mountain turned into a valley.  In it's own time
period it was there, and that's the period that's been reconstructed.
Knowing where that historic location is now can tell you what modern (or
relatively modern) repository holds the records from the location before
mountain became valley.  Most parish registers for churches in the Greater
London area are on deposit at the London metropolitan library, but so are
others from neighbouring counties outside of Greater London.  Far from the
church that originally created them.  But I only know they're in London now
if I know the location was in one of those stray parishes.

I can only think we must be all talking past each other. This is fundamental
stuff here.

Larry