[APG Public List] mapping and research

L. Boswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Nov 1 12:42:27 MDT 2010

but I think it takes a creative and imaginative approach to using the new
digital mapping environment to really appreciate how useful these could be.
 They're just "numerical names" attached to text names.  As precise or general
as is possible (or necessary).  Used to mark even approximate locations so as to
make them available to a wide range of analytical tools.

Why would you set coordinates for the corners?  That to me would be a waste of
time.  Why would you even attempt that for an 18th century Virginia patent
unless you had enough information to find an approximate location?  I'd employ a
bit of caution and use more general, approximate coordinates for that!  I think
if you misused the tool in trying to make less precise information fit "precise
coordinates" you'd be using this digital reference tool based on centuries' old
mapping techniques in a way that wouldn't give back any benefit.  It would be a
fabrication, nothing more. You have to be as selective in employing this type of
tool as you would anything else.

It's tool, and what's interesting is that it takes a traditional mapping tool
and makes it into something that is extremely powerful.  Used right it generates
information quickly that would otherwise take days or weeks to compile.  But to
go into that would take too much time, and just this basic discussion on
coordinates has exhausted my interest in trying to pitch this tool. Stick with
the time tested methods works for me too in many things, but anything that can
be converted and analyzed digitally simply shouldn't be rejected out of hand.

You don't use this tool, that's fine.  But I'm willing to bet that at some point
you will be using it because more and more it's being built into even gen
programs

wow, I'm surprised at the resistance to these suggestions but I'm willing to bet
most of the resistance comes from those who have never used this type of tool.
 Those who use it begin to see the potential and the power contained in it.  Not
everything is in the records, but when you can computerize information from
multiple sources in a digital environment, information emerges that would
otherwise not be attainable.  And that's beyond just the idea of translating
locations between historical and modern maps.  We've been talking here at a very
elementary level about what this tool can do, but this isn't the list to go into
any depth on such things.

Larry