[APG Public List] mapping and research

L. Boswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Nov 1 12:20:18 MDT 2010

in a couple of words, yes, very much so.  It's not extraneous in any sense, and
 I don't understand how you think it involves "taking the extra time".  The
degree of precision is of course going to match the same level you employ.
Coordinates can be as precise, or as approximate as you care to make them.  Just
allows a point of reference that translates digitally and manually across
multiple tools, including but not limited to maps.  Have a "general location"
than use "general coordinates."

But I think if you used mapping to the degree I do, then you would appreciate
the value.  Location, even a "general location" in most cases is critical
information, with our without coordinates. Using a reference set of numbers
simply allows you to do more with that location information.   Do you do any
family "history" type research?

But even using the reasons that you listed as to why you think location of a
piece of land is important, so you do as I do, use historic maps and records to
identify those items.  Often that means going to historical overlays or later
maps that do show latitude and longitude, or approximating (or precisely
finding) location on an equivalent modern map.  Once I do that I simply mark
down the coordinates for anything that I "located" by those methods.   Then I
can calculate distances etc in various ways.   Finding coordinates is not a
difficult, time consuming process.  And of course the researcher defines how
precise or general a level those coordinates are being employed at.  Useful to
mark even an approximate location (as long as that's made clear).

I don't know why you think it takes extra time?  I take it you've never used
coordinates or you wouldn't come to that conclusion.  It's a "time saver".  It
marks that "USEFUL information" covered by historic maps allowing it to then be
used in a digital environment across maps, employing some amazing tools.  Think
of it as a geographic file reference number that carries more information and
can be input into future references and overlays.

But I don't think this is for you Michael, though I think at some point as more
and more digitized mapping tools emerge you'll take another look at it.

Larry