[APG Public List] mapping and research

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:04:32 MDT 2010

I use historic maps in nearly every project.  But these historic maps do not have latitude/longitude on them usually.  I also use land records in nearly every project, which allows me to place the land on the maps (at least in a general sense).  My point is that discovering the general location (especially when dealing with a 200-acre farm) is an important step, but pinpointing the exact longitude/latitude seems like an extraneous step that does not add anything to the research.

I look at it this way – location of a piece of land is important for the following reasons:
- records jurisdiction
- relation to topographical landmarks
- distance to county courthouses
- distance to nearest town
- location of nearest church
- identities of neighbors
- identifying possible migration routes (through relation to bodies of water, historic trails, etc)
- (and of course other more creative uses I am sure)

All of these tasks, however, can be completed using historic records and historic maps, including identifying topographical landmarks, etc.  But how does taking the extra time and effort to pinpoint a precise latitude/longitude provide additional USEFUL information, not covered by the historic records/maps?

Michael Hait
michael.hait at hotmail.com
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com