[APG Public List] APGPublicList Digest, Vol 12, Issue 38 more GPS

John Yates john at jytangledweb.org
Mon Nov 1 10:17:11 MDT 2010

On 11/1/2010 11:53 AM, Michael Hait wrote:
> So, in other words, my question remains: how do the exact coordinates
> add in any way to the research that historic maps, plats, and deeds (and
> other historic records) would not cover?

I have not worked much with historic maps, plats, and deeds
at least yet. But, as a scientist, I'd hope that there would
be work in progress on putting latitude and longitude onto
historic maps of interest. At least those of interest to
me. ;-)

I'd love to know the actual Digital Locations of the old
oak trees, etc. that I have seen referenced in deeds as
boundary markers. If the old maps could be superimposed on
modern cartographer maps that have the latitude and longitude
legends, lots could be learned.

We can never learn everything about such locations, but the
more we learn, I say the better.

John