[APG Public List] APGPublicList Digest, Vol 12, Issue 38

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 09:53:45 MDT 2010

I don’t see how latitude/longitude coordinates help in any way to discover the physical location in relation to historic boundaries.  The historic boundaries were established using landmarks, and in years of research, I have yet to see a single deed, plat, or boundary-changing law that included latitude/longitude on it.  All of the historic records I have seen used landmarks to denote location.  The best that we can hope to “pinpoint” locations no longer in use would be through the use of these historic records, and the historic landmarks they note.  How does taking the time and effort to “pinpoint” the coordinates of a town or even a house help at all, when that fact will not appear in any of the other records that will be researched?  Would this approach necessitate similarly “pinpointing” the coordinates for each of referenced landmarks?

I have used historic maps in my research in many ways, and have even played with superimposing them onto Google Earth, for exactly the reasons that you note in terms of the topography.  But exact coordinates would not be enough additional help to make the process worthwhile, in my opinion.  I can look at a historic map that shows an ancestral county and see, for example, if a river or a mountain range is there.  Deeds will nearly always mention if the river--or even a small creek that may no longer exist--ran directly through a specific piece of property.

In most of the places that I currently research, the topography has physically changed dramatically even in just the past 100 years.  Most of Prince George’s County, Maryland, for example, is now paved, covered with housing complexes, highways, office buildings, shopping centers.  At the time of the Civil War, much of this same land was covered with small farms or large plantations.  If I am researching the colonial period, the changes have been even more dramatic.  So how would the coordinates of a location provide insight into the historic topography that no longer exists today?

So, in other words, my question remains:  how do the exact coordinates add in any way to the research that historic maps, plats, and deeds (and other historic records) would not cover?

Michael Hait
michael.hait at hotmail.com
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com