[APG Public List] Reasonable time to wait for reply from professional genealogist

Shelley keli1 at aol.com
Sun May 30 08:05:41 MDT 2010

Good morning, I am not sure you can put a timeframe on someone else's time even when they offer to do something. Now being paid to do something is different. With that said I do feel people should be responsible to be clear on their time and maintain some form of communication, no doubt. For one, I do lots and lots of lookups, etc., for others and it does take time, it is add it to my 'to do" list, right along with what I am doing when I am accessing the same area information. I am one of these organizational geeks that has a lookup file that I maintain, so it gets checked off just like my personal research tasks. I routinely go to Richmond and typically do not make separate trips for individuals, it will go with my flow unless there is a sense of urgency and it was communicated to me as such. I too work a full time job, an adjunct, and active in community activities. But, some routines can change and it should be communicated. To date, my time is typically a couple of weeks to 30 days, and no one has complained yet. So if you ask me for anything you got my routine, I am in Central VA and cover some West VA counties. Just my 2cents. Thanks, this is a good discussion. Enjoy your holiday!!!

"Know Your Roots, they are Long and Strong", Shelley