[APG Public List] Louisiana French Help

Alvie L. Davidson CG floridasearch at verizon.net
Sun May 30 03:59:15 MDT 2010

Good morning APGers,

I have been researching a family from Hautes-Pyrenees, France that
immigrated to Jefferson Parish, Louisiana just prior to the beginning of the
War Between the States.  While trying to learn more about this family I ran
across a book on GOOGLEBOOKS entitled:

"The Final Report of the Agent and Counsel of the United States with
Treaties and Schedule of Claims" published in 1884.  This book contains
names and information which refers to NARA Records Group 76.  Each person
who was still a French national (not yet proclaimed a United States citizen)
could file a claim for goods taken by the United States government during
this war.

Upon advice of ESM (one of my mentors) I had a local researcher in DC pull
one of these files and it contained personal information about the claimant
as well as a list of the items confiscated from him in 1865.

Unfortunately the claimant was never paid for these goods because during the
claims process he received his proclamation as a U S citizen.

This is only one persons file and I am unsure if it is atypical of all files
but it resolved one of my issues; where in France was this claimant born.

Following this file, I had a French researcher in SLC find the claimant's
birth registration in Hautes-Pyrenees.

Alvie L. Davidson CG
Lakeland, Florida
http://alviesgenealogyspot.blogspot.com