[APG Public List] Reasonable time to wait for reply from professional genealogist

Christopher Gray Christopher.Gray at Newscope-Solutions.co.uk
Sun May 30 00:53:48 MDT 2010

I sincerely hope that this “pro genealogist” isn’t me!

This would seem a fairly frequent occurrence in the genealogical world.
Some of them are miss-understandings.  For example – and I’m not saying that
this happened in your case – the genealogist said that this could be done.
Did he/she say that they would do it?  Are they waiting for you to give them
instruction to do so?  You use the term “pro genealogist” – is this a
paid-for item of work?

I suggest that you send another e-mail asking for guidance as to how long to
wait before expecting results.

Personally speaking, I have a “day job” that is not genealogy.  Therefore,
if I undertake an item of research, I make it clear that it could take 3-6
months before I can complete it – possibly longer if I hit a “brick wall”.
That said, I do try and complete the first steps within a day or two.  Step
one – send them my understanding of what they are requesting.  Step two, for
example – a quick trawl of easily accessible on-line records – sending the
client a summary of the findings and what the next step would be.  It is
likely that the client already has this information, but it at least ensures
that you are starting from common ground, and shows that you are at least
starting.  A lack of correspondence can lead, as you have proved, to
uncertainty and concern.

Chris

[Christopher Gray]

Guild of One-Name Studies member 3286