[APG Public List] Affidavit filing for marriage?

Donna McR donna316 at tx.rr.com
Fri May 28 06:51:51 MDT 2010

Hello:

I have a couple marrying in 1822 in Indiana.  The marriage register indicates both filed an affidavit.  For those on the pages that did not file an affidavit, the notation "of legal age" is made.

My question:  Was there any reason for a person of legal age for a man to file an affidavit when registering for marriage?

I am thinking that the man may have been not only of legal age, but quite a bit older.  (Unconfirmed, evidence flimsy.)

Thanks-----

Donna McCreary