[APG Public List] Ethics and etiquette question about contactingdescendants of possible mutual ancestor

Kate Foote kate at comm1net.net
Wed May 26 18:16:08 MDT 2010

Linda,

You indicate that the suspected ancestor was married 2-3 times, but you
didn't mention whether there was any issue from these marriages other than
the one you are reasearching? Is it just that you don't know yet? Contacting
siblings or, at this stage, descendents of siblings can be very different
from contacting direct descendents, especially if any are alive and may or
may not have a sibling they were unaware of.

I believe I would start with a very basic inquiry, i.e.: "I am researching
the Smith surname and wonder if you would be interested in discussing a
possible relationship?" I would not jump right in and say you think you have
a connection with a relative who abandoned his wife and child. If the
contact person sends a positive reply you can then say who you have as an
ancestor, give names, places, and dates, and gently allow them to draw the
conclusion themselves; or you can, on the second contact, descretely say
that the man you are researching may have had a wife and child that they did
not know about. You can judge the reactions and decide if you should, or
can, proceed from there.

These situations are becoming less of a scandal than they were even
twenty-five years ago, and this information is important to you, so I think
you should go for it. As long as you remain sensitive and respectful I
believe you would be within our respective codes of ethics.

Regards,
Kate