[APG Public List] "Immigrant Number One"

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Sun May 23 07:06:48 MDT 2010

Christine,

Thanks for this interesting information.  "Diseases of neglect" is a phrase used for a number of things.  My son has a foster child whom he was told was "neglected" by his mother and then taken into foster care as a baby.  I've found out that the "neglect" was that the mother smoked and drank through the entire pregnancy as well as wasn't feeding the child properly as a small baby.

A baby giraffe recently died at the local zoo here in Salt Lake City from "diseases of neglect" which when investigated further meant that the mother giraffe and the baby giraffe had not bonded.  The zoo had made sure that the baby was fed, but even with that, the baby died.

My thought is that the death of Annie Moore's children dying from "disease of neglect" is a catch-all phrase for not really knowing what they died from.  These children were born during a time when there were no antibiotics and living conditions were not like they are today.  There wasn't a hand sanitizer dispenser sitting in every grocery store, hospital, nursing home, etc.

So, without doing any study to determine exactly what killed the children, I wouldn't assume that she was a terrible mother or that she only knew how to eat potatoes.  Somehow many of those Irish people that immigrated to the US were able to be upstanding citizens of their new country and were able to cook food well enough that not all Irish families died out.

Jeanette Daniels
Heritage Genealogical College
Salt Lake City, UT