[APG Public List] "Immigrant Number One"

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer christine3cats at gmail.com
Sat May 22 19:39:45 MDT 2010

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any mention on this list of a story
that was in _New York_ magazine, 17 May 2010, p. 38-43, about the search for
Annie Moore, the first passenger to disembark at Ellis Island. Megan
Smolenyak Smolenyak worked extensively on identifying *which* Annie Moore (a
common name) this was, and is quoted in the article. Luckily, the entire
story is available online, so those of you in other areas can see it:
http://nymag.com/news/features/65902/

Be sure to read all the comments as well, as they address some questions,
reactions, etc., that I had about the article itself. Although the author
makes some errors due to his unfamiliarity with the process and documents of
genealogical research, it is very interesting.

With regard to several of Annie's children dying of what one of the people
quoted in the article refers to as "diseases of neglect," at least one of
the comments addresses that. However, also, recently I read a fascinating
book by Hasia Diner called _Hungering for America: Italian, Irish, and
Jewish Foodways in the Age of Migration_. One of the points she makes about
the Irish immigrants is that the majority of them were extremely poor and
most had nothing to eat in Ireland but potatoes, so had no concept of how to
cook food, what constitutes a nutritious diet, etc. Among other things, this
explains the stereotype of the immigrant Irish maid/cook who burned the
roast, etc., because these people had no concept of how to prepare the foods
they were give.

Christine

--
Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer