[APG Public List] Indexing of McMullin/Mc Mullen as M'Mullin

Rev. Dr. David McDonald strude86 at charter.net
Fri May 14 10:26:10 MDT 2010

Remember that the prefix "Mc", under the proper order of indexing, is to be indexed as if it were spelled "Mac". In my experience the same holds true for spellings which use M'.

Yr. Obd't. Serv't.

D. M. M'Donald
--
Rev. Dr. David McDonald, CG(sm)*
Old Northwest Research, LLC

*"CG" & "Certified Genealogist" are service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists (R), and are used by authorized associates following periodic, peer-reviewed competency evaluations. Certificate  No. 452, renewed, expires 19 April 2014.

---- Maria Hopper <reetree at optonline.net> wrote:

=============
Matrimonial Notices: Philadelphia Repository, Philadelphia PA
(newspaper issue of 5 Feb 1803 p.47) on line at Genealogy Bank "_____
on the 27th ult. by Rev. Mr. Milledoller of Philadelphia John
M’Mullin and Miss Maria Ord, both of Southwalk"

Only found this by serching bride's name not indexd under McMullin
Mullin or M'Mullin - also almost all of old city directories for
Philadelphia have Mc enter as an apostrophe only way to find them
that I know of is to browse Browse Philadlhia City Directories in
Footnote)

Maria (Ree)  Hopper, CG*
*CG or Certified Genealogist is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogist, used under license by board certified
genealogist after periodic evaluation, and the board name is
registered in the U.S. Patent Office.
Visit  http://www.bcgcertification.org

The Hopper Family Genealogy; The first six Generations
http://www.reetree.com
reetree at optonline.net