[APG Public List] Online death certificate - citation help

Arne H. Trelvik atrelvik at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:42:46 MDT 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Susan G. Johnston <zacathan at comcast.net>
wrote:

I'd appreciate a critique of these two first reference notes.

1. Ohio Department of Health, death certificate no. 30990 (file no.) 85
(reg. no.) (1911), Silas N. Longfellow; digital image, "Ohio Death
Certificates, 1908-1953," FamilySearch Record Search (
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html : accessed 22
November 2007); imaged from FHL microfilm 1953043. …

--------------------------------------

I question why the example citation says “imaged from the FHL microfilm
1953943”.

FamilySearch gives the source of the collection at
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Ohio_Statewide_Death_Certificates

where it says,

"Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953," database, FamilySearch; (http://familysearch.org),
from Ohio Department of Heath. Digital images of originals housed in the
Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio. FHL microfilm, 1207 reels. Family
History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Would it be appropriate for the final part of the example citation be
changed to read “imaged from originals housed in the Ohio Historical
Society, Columbus, Ohio” and delete the reference to the FHL microfilm
number?

--------------------------------------

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM,  <eshown at comcast.net> wrote:

> Your surmise about the first variation is correct. Your second does miss
the
> point. Look again at 9.33 (p. 459).  Here you will find models for citing
> vital record information gleaned online. Note that the citations are
divided
> into two groups, with the following labels used as headers for the two
> groups (italics are added below for emphasis): ….
--------------------------------------

EE 9.33 (p. 459) cited above is a reference to county level databases and
images.

For this collection would it be more appropriate to use the State Level
databases and images EE 9.42 (p. 468-69)?  The Texas example given seems to
be nearly identical to the Ohio database and images and it uses the
collection as the lead rather than the individual certificate.

“Texas Deaths, 1870-1976” The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints, *FamilySearch
Record Search* (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html :
accessed 29 July 2009), death certificate image, Walter Preston Morse, 31
January 1942, no. 2908, Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics.

The Texas example has the full name of the church spelled out in the
citation.  The church name doesn’t appear on any of the pages for the Ohio
or Texas collections that I can see and I had not been including it when
citing items found at familysearch.recordsearch. Should I be?

The Texas example doesn’t use the words “imaged from …” or “citing …” and
doesn’t include an FHL microfilm number.  Since the originals of the Ohio
certificates are located at the Ohio Historical Society rather than the Ohio
Department of Health should that be incorporated into a citation modeled
after the Texas example?

This has been a very informative thread for me.  Thanks to all who have
contributed to it.

Arne Trelvik

Lebanon, Ohio