[APG Public List] Online death certificate - citation help

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri May 7 18:03:32 MDT 2010

Shouldn't there be a mention in a citation if you've intentionally altered
the image after downloading it (I'd include even changes in contrast, or
other techniques that make it more legible).

I think mention of that fact is very necessary. A lot of well intentioned
'improvements' to a document can in fact remove or alter important visual
cues.

Particularly if the copy of the 'improved' image is included in the article
or report (or even if that's the version that was used in analysis of the
information)

I know 9 times out of 10 it won't matter if the image's contrast was altered
or whatever, but there are going to be times when it does matter.
Particularly with very early docs, or images of damaged files (thinking here
the Brit 'burnt' records, WW1 for example).

I mention that routinely

Larry

Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Historical & Genealogical Research Services"
Listowner, TheoryGen (a non-archived list)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com