[APG Public List] Online death certificate - citation help

Susan G. Johnston zacathan at comcast.net
Fri May 7 15:24:33 MDT 2010

Thank you to all who responded to my citation query.  Robert, thank
you very much for succumbing to your "fools rush in" syndrome.  Your
comments and your page citations are very helpful, and your listing
of principles is something I really need to do.  I think the
principle I'm trying to conceptualize in my own mind is something
that would help me decide when to place the emphasis on the original
document (citation example 1) and when to place the emphasis on the
website (citation example 2).  I know there's an art involved, but
the scientist in me says that I should be able to identify some
general principles that usually govern when this choice comes up.  In
fact, as your quotation below points out, one needs to learn the
principles of citation before artistic license comes into play.

-------------
>The choice may depend on another citation principle: "Clarity always
>beats consistency." (EE, 462.)

Although this comment referred to my question about when "citing" vs.
"imaged from" was more appropriate, I think it could also refer to
whether or not the original or the website should be emphasized when
citing a digital image.  A foolish consistency may be the hobgoblin
of little minds, but sometimes inconsistency can be very distracting.

I will continue thinking.  Thank you all for your help.

Regards,
Susan Johnston