[APG Public List] Stave?

Traci Thompson TThompson at Braswell-Library.org
Mon May 3 10:59:15 MDT 2010

My first thought was stave too, as in a barrel stave, one of the pieces
of wood bound together to form a barrel.  The word "stave" seems to have
been used historically to refer to various items, all having to do with
sticks of wood.  As a proper weapon, it seems related to a staff.  See:
http://www.answers.com/topic/quarterstaff

However (as with any object!) a barrel stave can be used as a weapon.
We had a local murder case in the mid 1800s in which one guy hit the
other over the head with a barrel stave and killed him - he adopted a
different surname rather quickly and high-tailed it to Texas before the
sheriff could get him.

Traci Thompson
Local History/Genealogy Librarian
Braswell Memorial Library
727 N Grace St
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
252-442-1951 ext 247(voice)
Opinions expressed are my own.

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.