[APG Public List] Online death certificate - citation help

Susan G. Johnston zacathan at comcast.net
Sat May 1 20:57:08 MDT 2010

My computer user group is working through Evidence Explained, and the
question came up as to the best way to cite the Ohio death
certificates available at the Record Search pilot site on
FamilySearch.org.  In studying sections in EE and the QuickSheet
models, I came up with two variations.  I'd appreciate a critique of
these two first reference notes.

1. Ohio Department of Health, death certificate no. 30990 (file no.)
85 (reg. no.) (1911), Silas N. Longfellow; digital image, "Ohio Death
Certificates, 1908-1953," FamilySearch Record Search
(http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html :
accessed 22 November 2007); imaged from FHL microfilm 1953043.

2. "Ohio Death Certificates, 1908-1953," digital images, FamilySearch
Record Search
(http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html :
accessed 22 November 2007), death certificate no. 30990 (file no.) 85
(reg. no.) (1911), Silas N. Longfellow; citing Ohio Department of
Health, Certificates of Death, Office of Vital Statistics, Columbus.

The first variation treats the digital image as an image copy; and I
think the second variation treats it as a publication. The first
variation gives information on all three incarnations of this record:
the state certificate, the FHL microfilm copy of the certificate, and
the online digital image of the certificate.  I'm not sure that the
second variation's credit line should refer to the original state
certificate or the FHL microfilm, but either way, I feel like it
leaves out information a reader might find helpful.

Which variation would be preferable, and why?  I would also like to
know when one would use the phrase "imaged from" and when one would
use the word "citing" in the credit line.

Despite the fact that my conscious know there are no citation police,
my subconscious is convinced there's one hiding in my closet.  Thanks
for your help in keeping him stuck there.

Regards,
Susan Johnston