[APG Public List] Race listed as "Yankey"

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 17:51:58 MDT 2010

Valerie raises a good point. In fact, if you run a “keyword” search for “Yankee” in that WWI Draft Registration database, you’ll find about 90 other instances in which “Yankee” is listed as for “race” (including “Swedish Yankee” and “Irish Yankee”). The registration places were all over the U.S. map, except for the South (unless one calls Texas “South”).

Incidentally, my father was born in Illinois and his family moved to Arkansas soon after (late 1890s; I’m his late-life child :). His baby brother, named Lawrence for the Illinois county they came from, grew up with the nickname “Yank” there in Arkansas. It wasn’t a nickname the family gave him. J

Elizabeth