[APG Public List] Race listed as "Yankey"

Valerie Stern wolawol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:54:01 MDT 2010

A friend from the south says...

"Since it was not a census form in Arkansas filled out by someone else
locally, but a WWl Draft registration form filled out in Wyoming, then he
was describing himself as a yankee, making that distinction on purpose. The
West was filled with ex-soldiers from both sides, and for several years
after the War Between the States, it continued to be fought in little
skirmishes and private battles out there. I am guessing this may have
influenced this man to want it on the record, that, although he was from
Arkansas, his sympathies were not Southern."

Valerie