[APG Public List] Headstones Provided for Deceased Union Civil War Veterans (citation help)

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 16:58:13 MDT 2010

Jennifer, here, you are citing an image of a card from NARA microfilm of a
card file; and you are citing Ancestry's digital image that is accessed
through a database of a certain name.  For your Source List Entry and your
First (Fully) Reference Note, you are following the pattern of a similar
item on the Ancestry QuickSheet (World War I Draft Registration Cards).

All is well with those two formats, ALthough your handling of the Subsequent
Reference Note raises a question. There, you have turned the data around.
Instead of leading with the name of the database, as you did in the Full
Reference Note and Source List Entry, you lead with the ID of the card then
place the database name last.  Is there a reason that you prefer the switch?
While the switch does not make your citation incorrect, it would be better
form to be consistent.

In one significant regard, the records you are citing differ from the World
War I Draft Registration Card example on the Ancestry QuickSheet: You are
citing a database that involves NARA identification of a soldier; and you
asked if you had gleaned sufficient details. For the essential details that
NARA needs to locate a soldier's records, see the "Military & Pension
Records" section of the NARA chapter (Chapter 11) of EE.

Hastily,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
The Evidence Series