[APG Public List] Scotland's People

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 19:08:00 MDT 2010

--- On Sat, 3/20/10, Rev. David McDonald <strude86 at charter.net> wrote:

> Is anyone else having difficulty purchasing credits on the Scotland's
> People website? (I have checked, in case you're wondering...there is
> nothing wrong with my credit cards!)

     One _possible_ scenario is that the site was cracked, and the difficulty is because data is being diverted to a "dark" server somewhere. In some cases, such an exploit would be taken down before the site owners even become aware of it.
     There is no way I know of to be sure this is _or is not_ what happened, short of discovering your information has been stolen.
     _Whenever_ you encounter an unusual glitch in such a system, the prudent thing to do is very carefully monitor your credit statements, etc. for at least 12 months. In fact, some stolen data has been observed which would seem to be offered for sale as much as _two years_ after it was obtained.
     Some of you will think that is too much trouble to go to. It's your life, and your money. On the other hand, a lot of the people I know who best understand computer security think _I'm_ hopelessly sloppy.
                              Ray Beere Johnson II