[APG Public List] How to handle date of death

mjnrootdig at gmail.com mjnrootdig at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 08:47:59 MDT 2010

For events of this type, only when I have to put something in my database, I use what may appear to be an odd source: myself.

If I have an individual that I believe died between two specific dates, say a census with a date and a probate entry with a date, I use bewteen those dates as the death range. I list something I usually refer to as "Michael neill conclusion" as the source title, and then within the area for that source's specific citation, typically within the text area, I place references to the two documents that have me my range of dates. If I don't have two references, but have other valid reasons for one of the dates, I include that commentary in the section. This works for me and allows me to essily review my rationale for a date range and helps me track the sources used in that rationale. I use a similar procedure for any estimated date of any event. If something is estimated, I ALWAYS include how I arrived at that date range. I do this even if the reason seems obvious,

Michael
Michael John neill
Casefile Clues www.casefileclues.com