[APG Public List] File manager

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 14:26:14 MST 2010

Larry;
     Here are several recommendations, with a few caveats.
     First, the definition of "good" software depends on the user. The only way to find a file manager, or any other tool, that works for you is to try a few out.
     Second, sorry, but I don't have time to pull all the URLs for these. In most cases, Googling should get you to the download you want quickly enough. (I _do_ recommend, for reasons of security, that you seek out the author's site or a download site you know and trust - some download sites can be real traps.) If you have a lot of trouble finding any one of these, get back to me and I'll see if I can find you a link.
     These are file managers I have installed on my own system, that I've kept around for one reason or another. And I've added notes so you can get some idea what they're like. Every one has little quirks or capabilities that some users love and others hate. I can't hope to list all of those (which ones easily detect removable drives inserted after they are open, for example) - you'll just have to see what works for you.

     Explorer++ - freeware, and an interesting idea in many ways, but frustrating for some because every feature has not been fully implemented yet. I still find it useful, but your mileage may vary.

     tabbyFile - freeware, no longer supported, this might be a bit hard to find. However, I include it because it is a beautiful, simple, _tabbed_ (think Firefox or Chrome, only in a file manager) file manager. It lacks a lot of the "power features" hackers love, but if you don't need support for viewing ten million different file formats or other bells and whistles, the simplicity makes it very easy to learn.

     UltraExplorer - freeware, a reasonable balance between simple and powerful and a decent replacement for many users.

     Double Commander - freeware - this is a double paned file manager with some nice features - but it is an _alpha build_. I haven't had any serious problems with it, but you might want to steer clear of this.

     Nomad.NET - freeware, requires the MS dot NET framework to work. A pretty decent replacement, but may slow down your system...

     SE-Explorer - freeware, this one is new, and _very_ intriguing, but I haven't had the time to play with it much yet, so all I can say is it very much seems worth a careful review, to me at least.

     ExplorerXP - freeware, another fairly basic but nice replacement file manager.

     FreeCommander - liteware (free, but a light version of a pay product, like xplorer2), another basic option to play around with.

     XYPlorer - liteware, a bit old in the teeth, but still has some nice things to recommend it. You can create sets of tabs to open as a set, for example, which can be nice if you habitually move files between certain directories.

     Personally, for most everyday uses, I really like tabbyFile, and just wish it was being maintained. Still, I doubt there are many folks out there actively seeking exploits in it...
     Of course, all this comes from someone who has lately taken an interest in UI (user interface) issues - and wishes they had the coding chops to complete and release an entirely different type of OS...

                            Ray Beere Johnson II