[APG Public List] Placement of endnotes within genealogy

Rondina Muncy rondina.muncy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 09:35:06 MST 2010

Janey,

While I agree that flipping back and forth to the endnotes is
annoying---really annoying, I would like you to take a look at three
sources.

First, Patricia Law Hatcher's *Producing a Quality Family History*. On page
121 it addresses footnotes, endnotes and at the bottom--- bibliographies.
Please read onto page 122, where she repeats a statement made on page 79
about exactly what kind of bibliography can be produced for a family
history/genealogy.

Second, Christine Rose's chapter in *Professional Genealogy, "Family
Histories."* On page 460 there is a discussion about citations.

Third, *The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual.* On page 104 the sample
compiled genealogy using the NGSQ System is presented. Take a look at the
amount of footnotes per page in this sample and think of the reader who is
not a professional or intermediate genealogist. Is it readable?

As a professional, I want to see the sources on the page, but genealogists
tend to have occasional tunnel vision. I think Colleta et al had it right.
Would I submit it with endnotes to the BCG for certification? No.

If something has changed since Hatcher's book or Rose's chapter, I would
appreciate a heads up.

Rondina
Rondina P. Muncy
Ancestral Analysis