[APG Public List] Re: [APG Members] Soliciting Y DNA Samples from Strangers

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Mar 10 07:56:05 MST 2010

It sounds like what I call the suspicion reaction. What seemed to be a good
idea to them originally has become, for some reason, something that they
aren't interested in sharing. Are they afraid that the results will somehow
be used in ways that could cause them problems?  I know one client wanted to
go the DNA route until someone told him that the results could be used to
identify medical conditions (or potential conditions), that would cause
problems if the information became available to the wrong people or
organizations. It was a groundless fear, but it took a while before his
fears were calmed.

Worth sending them an explanation of how the information is protected and
exactly how it will be used, who will have access to it, and that there are
no problems that could come back to haunt them.  Is it clear to them that
their identities will be protected?

Larry
Larry Boswell BA, PLCGS
www.TheBackstairs.com
http://thebackstairs.com/blog/
"Historical & Genealogical Research Services"
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
laboswell at rogers.com