[APG Public List] Soliciting Y DNA Samples from Strangers

Victor S. Dunn, CG victor.dunn at virginiaancestry.com
Wed Mar 10 06:35:14 MST 2010

I need some suggestions on how to get strangers to participate in a Y DNA
study.  I am currently working with a client who appears to have a surname
anomaly.  I have researched for a former client the same family that the
current client is supposed to be related to, and Y DNA of relatives of the
former client match a number of individuals with that surname. However, when
the current client received his results, there were no matches to that
surname and nothing definite on other surname matches.

At this point, we have no reason to believe there was an adoption or
illegitimacy in the last two generations.  Therefore, I have identified
several 2nd and 3rd cousins in hope of getting them to agree to a test so
that we can determine when the "non-paternal" event occurred. The client has
personally contacted three of these cousins and each agreed to take the Y
DNA test which the client funded.  Several months have gone by and all three
have refused to return their samples to Family Tree DNA.

I initially recommended that the client contact these cousins directly since
I thought they would be more open to the tests if they were talking to a
relative rather than a hired researcher.  I have talked to the client
several times on the phone and find him to be very personable so I cannot
imagine anything in his demeanor that might have turned them off.  However,
despite a number of emails and phone calls from the client, no one is
responding.  One of the candidates who received the test kit was very
interested in his family history and asked a number of questions, so his
non-participation is perplexing. The client is willing to keep trying with
other cousins (fortunately there are a number of candidates), but we
obviously need to be able to close the deal and get the tests returned. Any
ideas are appreciated?

Thanks,

Vic

Victor S. Dunn, CG

 <http://www.virginiaancestry.com> www.virginiaancestry.com

 <BLOCKED::mailto:victor.dunn at virginiaancestry.com>
victor.dunn at virginiaancestry.com

CG is a service mark of the Board for Certification of Genealogists.