[APG Public List] Passenger List Question

Carol Anderson Carol.Anderson at leesburgflorida.gov
Mon Mar 8 11:56:18 MST 2010

I assisted a patron in finding her ancestor, Paul Albrich [Allrich], on the ship's passenger list for the SS Ems, arriving at Castle Garden from Bremen on 22 August 1893 as a 26 year old clergyman with four pieces of baggage and listed as "transient."

My question is regarding his intended destination.  For most of the steerage passengers, a specific city is listed (New York, Chicago, etc.), but for those indicated in the first or second cabin, as was Paul, most have nothing listed.  Those who do have a code such as 19-18, 12-7, 3-0.  His was listed as 2-3.  Does anyone know what those codes mean?  I have been unable to locate a key or explanation - probably I'm just not looking in the right place.

He is passenger # 161.  Here is the link on Ancestry:  http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/Default.aspx?htx=View&r=an&dbid=7488&iid=NYM237_616-0683&fn=Paul&ln=Albrich&st=r&ssrc=&pid=4006911614

Carol Anderson
Adult Services Librarian
Leesburg Public Library
100 East Main Street
Leesburg, FL  34748
Carol.Anderson at leesburgflorida.gov<mailto:Carol.Anderson at leesburgflorida.gov>

Please Note: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from government officials regarding government business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

Think before you print.