[APG Public List] Suicide in Rome

Carolyne Gould carolyne_cwy at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 3 14:51:53 MST 2010

At 7:51 PM -0500 3/2/10, Barbara Mathews wrote:
>  I was told outright that they didn't publish suicides. I got the
>impression from him that such a shameful act is still to this day
>kept out of the papers.

As a former daily newspaper editor, I can tell you that the normal
practice is to not publish suicides that occur in a "private" family
unless they happen in a public place. (Jumping off a building,
bridge, etc.) If it involves a public figure, then they are
publicized. At least, that has been the standard for about the last
50 years. The further you go back in newwspaper history, the more
often even private family suicides are mentioned.

Carolyne