[APG Public List] Suicide in Rome

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Tue Mar 2 17:09:33 MST 2010

Bonnie,

I am very guilty of falling in love with the story, this much is true. But the reason I wrote about this is that I am no in love with ending. The reason I first wrote about is the very reason you mention, which was my original query here: In case you missed it, it was more or less this:

I would like to see Italian newspaper accounts. Death occurred 5 November 1912. Suicide in Rome. Hester Pfister. Wife of Carlo Pfister.

Believe me, murder is certainly one possibility but the sundry newspaper accounts, and family papers and stories, do not support that immediate "jump to" conclusion. Quite the opposite.. Please keep in mind that this happened while the mother of the woman in question was in the house. The husband was in the bathroom.  As much as we might want to rush to a conclusion that the husband did it, or that he drove her insane, it just does not add up in this case.This there is too much evidence to he contrary. I know that very mystery has a conspiracy theory, but I don't think in this case it will add up.  Might make a good TV show though. By all accounts, the husband was very distraught over his wife's mental condition. He had already forgone a lucrative and promising career in the Italian Navy to assuage her fears. These are not the actions of a man who wanted to kill his wife. To the contrary. he had re-arranged his entire career to assuage his wife, even moving to America to work or a coal company. This was huge step down of social position for him. No. He did not kill her. He loved her that much.

I am also a bit surprised that no one on this list has made the least comment on the fact that her mother was--and had been for 3 months--living with her daughter and trying to get her bak to her senses.  Again, I add, the story about the revolver Hester suddenly found in her mother's trunk is the most suspicious part of the story. But to run with this all the way, it would implicate both mother and husband in a murder. This part of the story keeps getting overlooked by all the poster and respondents here. I think it is a very important aspect to it.

Again, this is why is so important to track down the stories from the Italian newspapers of the time. If anyone can help me in that, I will be most grateful.

There was a history of insanity in her family, especially with her siblings. Think of *high strung* Mary Todd Lincoln here and you get an idea of this family group and their origins. Her grandfather was Josias Ellis Haynes whose wife was Rebecca   Kuykendall Heth. Time

In short, I am not dismissing murder, and this is not the first time I have delved into this particular issue. This has been an on-going research project since 1992. It has just now been given rebirth. It will eventually, one hopes, make a great article, book or even a mini-series if they ever resurrect City Confidential. Time will tell, and we can all be interviewed!

Craig K