[APG Public List] Suicide in Rome

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Tue Mar 2 14:54:31 MST 2010

I think the records that we have point to a suicide by a mentally distraught woman, on the spur of the moment. It would not shock me to learn that she really did mean to shoot herself in the head in order to commit suicide, but had found the gun in her mother's trunk (this part strikes me as the most bizarre component) and took it into her dressing room to play with the mere idea of killing herself, only to find the gun was actually loaded (and if so, why?  Why was Mama packing heat? Why was the gun loaded? Did Hester buy the bullets?). We will never know for sure. That she was getting dressed to go shopping and head back to America, and that her husband had resigned his commission from the Italian Navy during a war (much to his shame) and made arrangements to move to America, do not suggest to me he had anything to do with this tragedy.

And we cannot forget that her mother was right there at the time. To suggest it was murder would implicate her own mother (Ella Haynes Laughlin), an icon of Kentucky aristocracy. This daughter was, as they say in some parts of Virginia, "her eyeballs." There is no way she would have covered up the murder of her only daughter. And I can't imagine she wanted her dead. She was in many ways her meal ticket, having been abandoned by the ex-husband, Judge Henry D. Laughlin, then of Chicago.

I think it was what might be termed an accidental suicide.

Craig