[APG Public List] Historical vs Current Name Places

Michael John Neill mjnrootdig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 10:58:58 MST 2010

Why can't genealogy software be constructed so as to allow us to have
multiple names for a location, perhaps a current location name and a
historical location name? This would seem to solve the problem. I'm
constantly facing this dilemma whether with European locations or early
Virginia ones.

I'm not always a big fan of using genealogy database software for everything
either, although there are definitely tasks to which databases are extremely
well suited. It is just that not everything can be interpreted in those
terms. If that marks me as a Luddite in the minority, then so be it. The
more I research and the more I write, the more I am convinced that there are
many nuances in genealogy (as well as in life) that simply cannot be
quantified and that need written analysis and verbal exposition instead of
reduction to a database format--somewhat ironic for someone who was
academically trained as a mathematician/statistician.

Michael
Michael John Neill
Casefile Clues
http://www.casefileclues.com