[APG Public List] Historical vs Current Name Places

Rondina Muncy rondina.muncy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 10:42:42 MST 2010

Renee,

Whether writing or entering data into a software program, you need to keep
both the older place name and the newer. I normally say, for example,
"Providence, Burnet County, Texas, now Incorporated into Bertram." The
Master Genealogist gives you enough fields to enter Providence; Bertram;
Burnet County and Texas. Writing a genealogy or report allows a lot more
latitude as the language is not repetitive. The important point is that if
you look at a map of Burnet County, Texas you will not find Providence and
Bertram has now incorporated a large area that was full of small towns. You
need to know all the place names that a location went by.

IMO, this is one of the downfalls of using a genealogy software program. The
mind-set of a user can be that a tidy database has priority over accurate
information. The limitations of the fields skew the ability to enter
information or to cite it with exact accuracy. However, there is normally
some kind of work-around that can be created. The logic of following the LDS
method of only using current place names (which can change again) is also
faulty. Compare this with the name given to a roll of film. The name
reflects all or some of the contents, but is not necessarily the correct
name given to the item filmed. The title given to a film is created by
someone at the FHL as a finding aid. It is not to be taken literally like a
library catalog entry.

Rondina
Rondina P. Muncy
Ancestral Analysis