[APG Public List] Historical vs Current Name Places

Jeff Pauley jpauley at pacificpointe.biz
Tue Mar 2 09:42:36 MST 2010

I also favor using the location name as it was then. Many of my ancestors
were in the area of Virginia that became West Virginia and I record all
pre-1863 locations as Virginia. While it does make FTM a little crazy when I
do this, it certainly accepts the override to the default WV. It just makes
no sense to me to list a current name for a place when that name was not
appropriate in that time period. This is also the practice I use for client
research documents with a notation stating so.

Jeff Pauley

Pacific Pointe Genealogy Service

Goodview, VA