[APG Public List] Historical vs Current Name Places

FamRSearch at aol.com FamRSearch at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 05:59:58 MST 2010

One of the main reasons for recording places as they were when the event
took place is to find the records of the event.  My ancestor lived in  Morrow
county and then in Noble County without moving because they split  Morrow.
All land records that occurred before the split are in Morrow  County Court
House.  All land records after the split are in Noble County  Court House.
If I just put Noble County for everything it would send  researchers off in
the wrong direction.  That is an easy example but some  places have been
through 5 or 6 County changes as well as a state change.   Knowing what the
political entity is at the time of the event is as important as  the date of
the event, IMHO.

Julia Coldren-Walker