[APG Public List] Historical vs Current Name Places

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Tue Mar 2 02:24:11 MST 2010

I, personally, record place names as they were at the time of the event. This is important for my family history because, over the centuries, the political and administrative borders shifted so that my ancestors lived in several different countries throughout history, although my ancestors stayed in basically the same place. One ancestor in particular was born in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, lived in the Prussian Empire and the Duchy of Warsaw (controlled by France), and died in the Congress Kingdom of Poland (controlled by the Russian Empire), although he never moved.

Recording place names as they were at the times the events occurred helps define the geopolitical events in my ancestors' lives and places the lives of my ancestors in a historical context which, I think, greatly enriches my family history.

Recording place names as they are at the present time also suffers from one serious shortcoming. If the place names change in the future, the researcher will then have to go back and change all the place names in the database in order to keep everything up to date. Given that the borders and administrative divisions of Poland have changed four times since World War II (1945, 1950, 1975, and 1999), recording the current place names would have required a lot of work just to update the place names in the database.

I wrote an article that addressed this subject on my blog about a year ago at http://stephendanko.com/blog/index.php/archives/3478 .

Best regards,
Stephen J. Danko, PhD, PLCGS
http://www.stephendanko.com/