[APG Public List] Citing Sources - Your Opinion

linda at fpr.com linda at fpr.com
Tue Jun 29 14:08:45 MDT 2010

Elizabeth,

I deliberately avoided the use of "citation" in my post, because my
concerns are entirely directed at the quality of information provided to
users for the purposes of source analysis.  I do not care at all whether
citation "format(s)" are offered.

My interests lie before the point of formatting a citation (or two or
three...).  Basically answering the question "what am I looking at?"

It only makes sense to me that if each party were responsible for the
description associated with the piece(s) that they created or were
"closest" to, that such an approach should theoretically result in
information that is more reliable for the purposes of source
understanding/analysis/evaluation than the current situation where the
service provider is the author of the "whole package."

For example, on the service provider's end I would appreciate more
information on the "who, where, when, how" of the search tools and any
database entries created by the service provider for their users.   For
images of NARA holdings I expect clear identification for what NARA
publication an image came from.  Rather than expect a service provider
to provide any background information for records obtained from a
partner, it makes sense to me that they provide a clear link (provided
by the home repository) to such information that the home repository
deems appropriate.  Separating the "authoring" responsibilities
regarding these source descriptions should mean it's easier to keep
everything up-to-date, too, rather than making changes in multiple
places.

Regarding changing what's there now, my less-than-radical-approach would
be to advocate change from this day forward.  Applying to new
partnership agreements (and renewals of old).  I think most important
would be to change *expectations*--what researchers, archivists,
conservators, librarians, etc think is the best and efficient way to
maintain the integrity of information about their collections while
increasing public access to their holdings through the use of
partnerships with other organizations.

So, I guess since I'm not concerned about citations, per se, I'm really
not responding to Cindy's questions.  But, it's an issue I care about
and I couldn't resist the opportunity to share. For me, it is related to
the quality of source documentation and I do think that
repositories/archives could make more demands on subscription providers.
 To me, Ancestry's lumping of @16 NARA publications into one database
("Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956")  without
associating the specific publication for each record is unacceptable.
and this is not the only place where Ancestry does this, nor is Ancestry
the only service provider taking these shortcuts.

Linda
Linda Gardner
Massachusetts