[APG Public List] Citing Sources - Your Opinion

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Tue Jun 29 12:29:31 MDT 2010

I think part of the problem with subscription services is that sometimes we
seem to be asking them to do our work for us.  There's usually enough
information there that the original records can be fully identified, and the
current location then found, but sometimes it takes a little effort to do
so.  That's nothing compared to what it used to take (first going somewhere
like an archive to see the record, or order in a microfilm through an FHC,
and in the latter case, also identify the original and where held etc).  So
now we only have to do a little bit of sleuthing to fully identify the
record.   .

To use information taken from a subscription database without fully
identifying the record that contains the information (even if that means
having to do it on our own) is going to negatively impact on any evaluation
of that information as evidence.

And it's because the partial information can't be trusted that you have to
do more digging. Exactly for that reason.  Enough can be gleaned from
Ancestry (for example) in most cases, to allow the full identification,
including current location of the original record itself.  And in the
process of doing that bit of work, the payback can be discovery of new
sources or a new understanding of what was collected from Ancestry. Win-win.

Larry